Take a quick look:
Each successful organization has a story. These organizations are aware of the importance of reputation. A positive reputation improves trust, confidence, and sales, which in turn effects organization’s revenue, growth and profitability. A bad reputation can lead to a decrease in consumer confidence, and, in turn, a reduction in revenue and profits.Online Reputation Management is the pro-active approach through which any organization monitor, analyse and influence what is being said about them on the internet. The main goal of the organization is Search Engine Optimization (SEO) which moves its listing in the search engines upwards.
Why do Organisation go for ORM?
Online Reputation management (ORM) deals with everything about your company’s brand in the online community. This community includes the entire web – search engines, forums, blogs, news sites, social networking sites, etc…It includes marketing, public relations with search engine marketing. Main goal of organization using ORM is to increase its visibility and rankings in the search engine which is also known as Search Engine Optimization.
ORM is an Exposure to your brand!
Online reputation management has been very popular oversees in the past years but it is slowly catching up in India. But this growth is not at par with what is needed. These are 3 important reasons regarding ORM:
- Informative: To know what is going on, to be aware of the sentiment and of the potential impact of comments about your brand.
- Reactive: If you know what is being said, you have the choice to do something with it or not. By doing something with it, you can generate more positive responses. You can also respond (in a positive way) to negative reactions.
- Proactive: The first two points are required, and defensive in nature. By acting proactively you can take control of the discussions about your brand. The most important thing to remember is that you don’t have an online reputation, you get one. And that’s something that you will have to work on.
People remember things online longer than on traditional media like newspapers, articles, etc. which are alive for only some days.It is a process of monitoring and engaging on the social web to drive higher awareness, customer satisfaction and revenue to your business.
ORM is carried out by 3 steps:
- Listen to what is being said online:Organizations should always be aware of what is being said about them on the internet both in positive and negative context on sites like blogs, forums, etc. But due to vast nature of internet, it is almost impossible to keep the track.
- To monitor your brands: Setup Google Alerts and yahoo alerts which notify about the information through which your brands are most searched about.Organizations should also track what their competitors are doing over the internet, industry news, etc. This gives the head start to ORM and define a proactive policy to control the sections that talk about your brand.
- Analyse what information affects brand: Analyse online assets:
- Corporate Sites
- Other sites from your organization
- Product Sites
- Corporate Blogs
- Employee Blogs
- Partner Sites
- Corporate Communications (press releases, articles)
- Participate in Conversation to eliminate negatives: Sources of conversation are:
- Blogs & Forums: Blogs and forums are the world’s largest and most influential form of interactive media. Consumers gather information through blogs and they play important role in influencing brand image. According to statistics by Technorati, growth of blogs is exponential.
- Social Network Sites: Use of such sites have grown over past few years and they attract participants with same interests. Such sites could help improving brand visibility and image to a large extent.
- Counter-intelligence: It prevents confidential information being exposed on internet. It is mostly done by monitoring leaks that could be done by employees intentionally or un-intentionally.
- Crisis Management: It is generally done when crisis has already occurred and brand image has been violated.
Consumer Generated Media:
Consumer-generated media (CGM) such as blogs, forums, and message boards, etc. have grown over a period of time. Search-engines are used to quickly generate information about anything one can think of.CGM originates from:
- Message boards and forums
- Discussions and forums on large e-mail portals (Yahoo!,AOL, MSN)
- Online opinion/review sites and services
- Online feedback/complaint sites
We at Next Mile Digital, make Online Reputation Management more essential, as more and more consumer approaching internet as a source for all queries and complaints about a brand. We also monitor such viewpoints in gaining priority while deploying the marketing strategy. It is more important in India as the number of internet users are increasing at a faster rate and so are bloggers, critics and competitors. The phenomenon of Network Effect Marketing and Search Engine Optimization is gaining popularity with the growth of social networking.